The word default has many meanings:
- To a geek means the value set for a preference by the developer, as in “the default value for the web server port is 80”.
- To a finance person means the failure to fulfill an obligation, like pay off a security, as in “the company’s corporate bond is in default”.
- To a sports person means the failure of a team to arrive in time to participate in a sports match, thereby losing the match, as in “Qatar lose the soccer game by default to Uzbekistan”.
- To a lawyer means the failure to appear in court, as in “an order for default as entered in case XYZZY”.
- And to everyone else means “De Fault”, as in “the replacement ref’s incompetence is de fault of the league.”
Just a quick reminder to ensure you use the right terms in the right context for the right audience.